Carson heroics give Arizona St OT win over Utah
- Terps begin final ACC slate with victory
- No. 18 Tar Heels holding up on perimeter
- Depth propels No. 23 Iowa to 10-1 start
- No. 1 Arizona shakes slow start in rout
- No. 4 Badgers match best start since '93
By BOB BAUM
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) Arizona State freshman Jahii Carson sank a 3-pointer to send the game into overtime, then made a driving layup with 35 seconds left for what proved to be the game-winner in the Sun Devils' 55-54 victory over Utah in the teams' Pac-12 opener on Wednesday night.
Carson was just 5 of 18 shooting, 1 of 6 on 3s, but made the two biggest baskets in a slow-paced contest that saw neither team lead by more than six points. Carrick Felix had 17 points and 16 rebounds, Carson scored 15 and Jordan Bachynski had 14 points for the Sun Devils (12-2).
Updated January 3, 2013